Friday, June 15, 2012

Diet Progress, Motivation, Yesterday and Today's Training

What a week!  It's Friday and I feel good about making it through this week after having restarted my diet where my carbs were fairly low with only my oatmeal in the morning (which I skipped on Monday) being my source of starchy carbs.  I've had other carbs, but mostly fibrous or simple carbs (i.e. sugars). 

I spiked my motivation again to stay on my diet by stepping on the scale a couple days ago.  I've been avoiding it because for a while to regain some strength for some of the rides I was preparing for since my performance had been horrible.  My performance did improve as a result since I did start eating again (even started drinking again), but it came at the expense of additional weight.  I'm now hovering around 154-155, so I need to get back on track and try to get back to 150 and then push on from there to see where I can get.  The problem is, I've also been training a little heavier again, so I can't really say the weight I'm gaining is bad weight.  However, ANY weight I gain regardless of whether it's fat or muscle is just more to carry up the hills.  Oh the dilemma. 

Yesterday, I rode in the morning and did think about my weight to motivate me to push as hard as I could.  It worked, but I was seriously turned inside out as a result.  I could feel the lack of carbs midway through the ride, but I pushed on anyway.  I hadn't felt that inside out for a while, and I'm sure the lack of carbs was probably the biggest factor.  Okay, so running, cycling, spinning and the leg training I did earlier in the week probably contributed to it also.  Aha. 

I also got in a shoulder workout yesterday during lunch, and it was okay.  I was still feeling a little unsettled from the morning, so that kept me from being able to crank up the intensity but it was good enough.  I also got in an ab workout.

For this morning, I got to train my arms and finally included my triceps again.  I've been saving my triceps for my riding since they get worked when I climb off the seat but on the drop.  I didn't get to do too many exercises, but good enough.  I did do some heavier weights following my MO for the week, but it did make me wonder why I'm doing this when it can potentially promote growth and slow me down on the bike again.  Oh the dilemma.

For lunch, I don't know what I want to do yet, but I know training would make me feel good.  My legs feel good so I may jump on the spin bike, I may run, or I may do the elliptical.  I have a weekend with a lot of activities planned, so I may need to pull back some and get some rest...or not.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment