Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Weekend Overtraining, Yesterday and Today

Overtraining can be defined a couple ways:  training to the point where one doesn't give muscles or the body enough time to rest to recover OR training beyond what the body can supply in the form of fuel.  On Saturday, I pretty much experienced both.  After training every day last week with both cardio and weights, I thought I'd be able to do a ride to my sister's house on Saturday since it was only 60 miles away.  I did opt to take a hillier route, and I probably should have pulled back some earlier, but I was being dumb.  On top of the training, I've been on low carbs the whole week including the Friday night before, so by the time I was in the canyons, I felt like I was completely out of fuel.  The honey gels helped but after more climbing, I bonked on the trails parallel to the 91.  I made it to a gas station there just as I noticed my front tire was flat, so after having a Pepsi and fixing my flat, I was ready to finish the remaining 11 miles.  Admittedly, I had called Lisa to pick me up there since I felt so flat, but I changed my mind and pushed on.  By the time I arrived at my sister's house though, Lisa said I looked like I had no color.  My ears also wouldn't stop popping for a couple hours, which after doing some research on the Internet says I had just way overdone it.

I was going to ride my bike down to San Diego on Sunday but my above experience was enough to knock some sense into me.  I ended up driving down with Lisa, but I did go bodyboarding.  I did eat more this day though, so I didn't feel too depleted.

Yesterday, I worked my chest in the morning and ran 6 miles later in the afternoon, which means the training has resumed.  I also ate pretty good, so I guess I'm back to normal.  Going into this weekend, however, I will pull back on Friday and get some rest in preparation for a big ride on Saturday.

Today, I trained my back and got my core training in.  I was going to follow my mode of throwing in a heavy set in each of the exercises performed, but I went back to just light and fast with lots of reps.  I should know better that working heavy will mean more responsiveness to the intensit, which my muscles may respond to more in the form of growth.  That will just mean my cycling will suffer as it had the year before. 

I do hope to get a ride in at lunch today after being off the bike for the last 2 days, so I'm hoping I do okay at lunch.  My legs are feeling a little tired from yesterday's run, but I'll suck it up and do what I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment