Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Overtraining or Increased Conditioning?

Conditioning comes from the muscles being forced to become accustomed to a certain level of exertion.  In order to increase conditioning, that level of exertion also has to increase.  I get this when it comes to bodybuilding, but I'm not sure really sure how it works from a cycling sense.   Sometimes, when I beat my legs up and then beat them up some more, they seemed to become "conditioned" to it where they are just able to perform better.  However, when would it be considered overtraining?

For now, I suppose my take on this is that overtraining is a full body thing vs. a specific area like the legs or other body part.  When I feel exhausted and seem like I'm performing less, THEN I'll admit I'm overtraining.  I may sometimes believe this to be the case based on my diet (i.e. lack of carbs), but in some way, I'm trying to condition my body to do more with less, which in itself is a form of training as well.

As I mentioned yesterday, my legs weren't 100% when I got up, but I still managed to get a good lunch ride in.  I did fall off the pace of the front, but I think it was more related to how hard we went out than overtraining.  They definitely didn't feel very good this morning, but here's where I'm going to back off and let them recover hopefully in time for tomorrow's race.  I'll still do cardio at lunch today, but very low intensity and only to burn fat.

I worked my shoulders this morning, and because I could still get the intensity up I know I'm not overtrained.  I got 4 good exercises in plus my core training, so it was a good overall workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment