Monday, September 12, 2011

Overcoming Obstacles, Diet and Today's Workout

On Thursday, our neighborhood was one of the "fortunate" ones to lose power, so staying the course with regard to diet and training was tough.  I did end up having a sandwich for my last meal that night rather than a Met-Rx, but it wasn't too bad.  I just don't typically eat bread at night, but se la vie.  Since the power didn't resume until early a.m., I also had planned on just going to the gym at work vs. planning on going to the one nearby at the chance it would not be open based on the outage.  The funny thing was the gym near my office was  also closed, but I went ahead and worked out in at another gym (bldg 11) on campus and got a pretty decent shoulder workout.  I also still got a lunch ride in, so I didn't let the power outage become too much of an obstacle with regard to my training.  

I took it easy on Saturday and got to ride my mountain bike to my son's soccer game a couple miles away.  It was quite windy, so I spun for the most part.  It felt good to do so after 3 days straight of hard riding.  I also went to a pool party for my daughter's soccer team, and I did cheat on my diet there having half a hamburger, some chips, and a couple beers.  I figured it was okay given I was going on a big ride on Sunday.  My meals after were also not the greatest diet-wise, but again, I needed the calories. 

On Sunday, I had a great ride and I never seemed to run out of energy (i.e. calorie-wise).  I was pushing hard at the end just to see if I can get myself to get really hungry but that never happened.  I did have a couple honey waffles and gels during the ride, so that helped a lot.  The post ride pizza and beers probably wasn't the best for me, but I thought I deserved it.  I also didn't eat well after since I brought the family some KFC after. I ate way too much chicken.  Damn that Colonel.

This morning, my alarm clock woke me up to go to the gym but my legs were feeling tired from the ride.  I decided to sleep in and skip cardio all together today to let my legs rest, so I'll be doing a chest workout at lunch time.  I know when my legs feel like junk, my weight training suffers but I'll try my best to just push through it.  By tomorrow, I expect I should be back on schedule with my 2/day training.

No comments:

Post a Comment