Friday, April 1, 2011

Arms, Overtraining, and Progressive Results

Today was arms day, and I was able to get 4 exercises in with the focus being mostly triceps.  I was able to squeeze out a couple bicep sets but realized that I promised to get the kids croissants this morning where I forgot my wallet at home.  I had to cut the workout short and did not get to train core. 

For lunch training, I think I'll back off the cycling a little and try to just do a fat burner cardio session.  I felt a little tired during yesterday's ride, and the heat did do much to help that.  I was a little surprised that my left calf started hinting that it may cramp on the way down NPC.  Fortunately, it didn't get to the same point as it did on Wednesday.  In the back of my mind, I do wonder if hitting the bike again today just to condition them further.  However, I'll take the safe route and not do so considering what we have planned for the weekend.

As far as the topic of overtraining, someone on Facebook was asking me about whether they thought I may be overdoing it going to the gym every day (M-F anyways).  My response was that from a weight training perspective, I don't believe it's overdoing it as long as different muscle groups are trained and that each muscle group is given adequate time to rest.  In my case, I only train each muscle group once a week.  The conditioning training is daily as well, but the premise behind it is that the more you do it, the better your body is able to adapt.  The trick is to separate the two workouts, which is why I train in the morning and at lunch time. 

Another topic to discuss was how buddy of mine asked about whether progress promotes more motivation.  For me, I get even more strict with my diet and regimented in my training when I see results.  I know progress is not inherently persistent and that continuing requires continuous adjustments.  The reduction of starchy carbs at night has helped a lot, but I also have to realize I need to carb up more on occasion so that I don't drop weight (lean mass) too fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment