Thursday, May 5, 2011

Yesterday's Ride, the BMC, and Today's training

In yesterday's ride, it was very mellow since Vince was pulling back a lot to save up for this weekend.  I was also trying to save some, but I did want to burn enough calories for the ride.  I ended up doing 23 miles with Jaffe and Shawn (who met atop NPC), but the pace was a tame 17 mph average.  One thing I did get to try out of the ride was to see how long I could off seat pedal up NPC.  With a pace that Jaffe can keep up with, I did manage to do the whole hill standing up without dropping down to the small chainring.  I did have to switch from the drops to the hoods a couple times just to give my triceps a break, but it was cool to have been able to do so. 

I did take my BMC yesterday with the lowered bars (1 spacer) and originally, it felt a little weird.  I don't want to say uncomfortable, but I did feel more stretched out on the hood.  When I dropped the bar on my R3, it felt natural right away for contrast.  By the middle of the ride though, it not only felt better but I began to think the bar still felt a little high.  I'll have to ride it more and see.

I got in the gym this morning and worked only my biceps.  Since I realized how taxing standing on the drops was on my triceps, I didn't want to tax my triceps at all today to save up for Saturday.  I also toned down my bicep training since last week, my arms were still not fully recovered when I did the Alpine Challenge.  It didn't end up being a factor, but I want to be 100% for the big ride.

For lunch, I'm contemplating doing a light cardio (very light) mostly to fight off anxiety as well as prevent any weight gain.  I may start to carb up a little tonight on through tomorrow, but I won't do it if I don't do cardio.  Decision, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment