Monday, March 5, 2012

Skipped Cardio and Chest Workout at Lunch

I got up this morning but decided I still need to make strides in reducing the frequency of my workouts so I give myself enough time to recover.  I rode 60 miles yesterday, so I figured I could give my legs some rest.  It's not that they felt bad or anything, but I really need to manage my training better...so back to sleep I went.  

Since I was letting my legs rest, I opted to train with the weights at lunch time.  The nice thing about training with weights later in the day is that I have more food (fuel) in me to do so.  With the additional sleep I got, that helped as well.  I ended up seeing Patrick and Joey, who I used to bench with previously, at the gym and they were both working out with Josh...someone who used to train with us on occasion.  Now I was content on doing my own thing and keeping it light, but after picking up the 135 lbs. for my first set, I thought "Wow, that felt pretty easy."  After doing another warm-up of 185, which also came easy, I decided to join the other guys just to see where I was strength-wise.  

One motivation to see how much I could bench was because I've heard that Patrick, the nicest guy and all, had been talking a lot about how strong he was where other guys would tell me about it (like I'm his dad or something...haha).  I knew Patrick had once hit 300 on the bench but confirmed he had not yet hit 315 (three plates each side).  Although I hadn't done this type of weight for a while now, I decided to do one more warm-up of 225 lbs (3x) and decided to go for 315 subsequently.  Patrick had indicated beforehand as I approached them that I looked like a gymnast now (an indirect poke at how I look smaller...which is true), so I pretty much dedicated the attempt to him.  Surprisingly, I nailed it and even possibly had enough for one more rep, but I was happy with the one as it was enough to quiet Patrick...especially considering I'm only 150-ish.  In contrast, he's upwards of 170-180.  I had a great workout after and even did 13 reps of 225 following the 315 rep.  Hopefully, Patrick saw that too.  LOL.  

I finished up with other chest workouts and did some crunches to end the day.  Tomorrow, the 2x resumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment