Monday, June 13, 2011

Weekend and Today's Training

Did the Big Bear ride with the Broadcom team this weekend, and these guys make it so humbling.  Just when I think I'm pretty trained up, I'm shown just how much more I need to keep going.  Just about everyone had turned it up in the beginning, and it's amazing how they can push so hard and have enough to finish.  I really wanted to manage my pace to limit the time at the stops, but it was hard to do so when everyone was pushing the pace early on.  I didn't do too bad getting to the top just behind the monster, Shannon, but having cramped after really bummed me out.   I really need to figure this out before we do the Death Ride.

As for my nutrition, I never really felt hungry at all during the ride.  My loading up since Thursday seemed to help a lot.  I'm not sure the beer I had the night before had anything to do with the cramp, but maybe I probably could have still drank more water beforehand.  For the ride, what I had was 3 waffles, 2 packages of Shot Bloks, 2 Honey stingers and 1 Zipvit.  I also had 4-5 bottles of electrolytes.  I would have kept drinking more, especially on the climb up to Onyx.  However, I'm not sure what was going on but every time I took a drink on that climb up, I would get a little dizzy.   I wonder if that had anything to do with the lack of oxygen up there.

The beerfest after the ride was ridiculous.  I'm not sure why I drank as much as I did, but it was definitely not good for me.   I wasn't able to eat again until around 11 PM, so I probably absorbed more alcohol in my system as a result.  I felt sick up through yesterday, so I probably won't be doing that any time soon.  I did eat a little more freely yesterday to take a break from my diet for another day, but today, I'm back on the healthy wagon.

Today, I trained my chest this morning and did push a little harder to kick off my reset (meaning the training starts for the next ride).  I also kicked it up a notch from all the crap I was talking regarding crits from the liquid bravery.   I know most of it was just talk, but I do want to help the team do well on our next outing.  I even kicked up my core training by increasing the weight for my lower back.  I realize my lower back strength still could use some improvement given how tired it had gotten from the climbing, so I hope the added weight helps.

For lunch, I would like to ride again but will just save it for tomorrow.  I'll do some elliptical work instead and try to sweat out some more of the weekend's alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment