Monday, June 6, 2011

Yesterday' Ride, Chest Day and Serious Ab Cramp

Yesterday, I did an impromptu century ride with co-worker (Vince) where I didn't really think we were riding that far.  Fortunately for me, I overloaded on sashimi the night before, so I was definitely raring to go.  I think about 30-40 miles in, I asked Vince how far are we going today, and when he said to the top of Torrey Pines, I knew it was going to be a long day on the saddle.   Ultimately, we managed to do it with only a couple water stops where I had a total of 4 bottles of Ultima all together (didn't finish the 4th).  I also went through 3 gels and ate 2 waffles and 1 package of Fig Newtons.  For the waffles and figs, I ate at the 50, while the gels, I had one right before going up Torrey and 2 on the way back.  I also had 1.5 packages of Shot bloks to keep any cramping at bay.  I thought my right quad was going to cramp at one point, and while I took a Shot Blok to suppress, I found how really focusing more on the upstroke during an offseated position helped the cramping from even threatening any further.  Once I realized this, I pretty much pulled for most of the last 15-20 miles.  I hope it works out the same for the Bear next week.

When I finished the ride, I didn't think I was too tired, but I pretty much crashed right after getting home.  I was actually still tired this morning, so although I awoke to go to the gym, Lisa talked me into getting back in bed with very little resistance on my part.  Ahhh...sleep. 

I did manage to get a good chest workout at work today, although I did feel like my strength was a little zapped from the ride yesterday.  I still got in 5 exercises, and with the focus of speed over intensity seeming to benefit cycling, this style persisted vs. just high reps. 

I also did some crunches on the machine at the gym, but I was feeling a little apprehensive today since I worked pretty hard on my chest.  Sometimes, I think all the bearing down I do when I lift weights tires my abdominals as well, so I stopped at what I thought was a reasonable amount of reps.  I got up from the machine, felt good, started heading to the shower and spat my gum out in the trashcan just outside the ladies' locker room.  I missed, so when i went to pick it up, BAM...my abs locked up.  I actually had to wait a few minutes before it finally released, but it hurt so much that even now (8:15 PM), I still feel some lingering pain when I sit down, get up, or do anything that involves my abs.  I probably didn't drink enough yesterday after the ride, so the lesson here is hydrate AFTER the ride too.  I guess the typical beerfests after rides were actually good for me.  HA

No comments:

Post a Comment