Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brutal Leg Day and Cardio

After 2 weeks of not training legs (other than through cycling), I hit the gym this morning and managed to squeeze out a fairly brutal workout...brutal in the sense that I had a hard time walking after.  HA HA.

I again hit the high rep sets, and with legs, that meant sets upward of 35 to even 70 depending on the exercise.  My calves were still first, and I got two exercises in (seated calf extensions and calf raises) where I got a really good pump from them. I only managed one exercise for hamstrings, but hitting them with 35 rep sets had me gasping for air.  For the quads, I did leg extensions and this was where I was hitting reps of up to 70.  I followed this with machine leg presses also in the 50+ rep range, and after 3 sets, I was done.  The high rep ranges took up a lot of time to where I couldn't get any more exercises/sets in.

For lunch training, I'd like to bring my bike in but I don't think the weather will hold.  I'll probably just prepare to do cardio in the gym. 

On a dietary note, I had a hard time feeling full last night probably after yesterday's ride.  I also didn't feel so hot when I got home, fell asleep at one point and woke up with a headache.  I managed to just eat enough, but I was feeling a little empty when I got up.  The Met-Rx is hitting the spot this morning for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive Rich. There is no substitute for pounding steel.

    Nice to see you are working the legs back in the rotation, they may get a bit more time off the riding than planned with this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's back in the rotation, but they were pretty worked after yesterday's ride. I need to keep working them so I can keep you off of me longer on the hill chases. I know it's just a matter of time, but it's nice that it takes just a little longer than it used to. Always humbling when you guys reel me in.

    ReplyDelete