Monday, March 14, 2011

Solo Monday Cycling Trainer

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73096928

Well, I couldn't get anyone else to join me today, so I thought I'd see what legs may be like for this weekend's race and max'd out a solo Shady run. I was thinking if I could get them to detonate, I'd know how long and hard I can run for and be able to back down from there. Ironically, they never buckled...at least from a cramping perspective. I had to gasp a few times, but I managed to keep the pace up to the high 20s with a move avg a couple ticks over 21 mph. I'd say that's my PR for a solo run.

I took the R3-SL out with the Easton wheels, and the bike felt really good. The wheels have been feeling great since I last got the rear back from Easton. On the climbs, I kept the average on it up over 17 mph, which I thought was pretty decent. We'll see how the BMC feels tomorrow with the Spinergys on it.

One interesting part of the ride was when I saw a Moto Tab kitted guy on a Bianchi up ahead after Jeffrey where I chased him down and got beside him at the light on Laguna crossing Alton. He didn't say much, but once the light turned green, the guy just took off. I didn't think he'd be interested to let me draft, and today, neither was I. After the first light before the bridge, I started to accelerate and pretty much dropped him before the top. I kept on standing (for practice) and just didn't see him after a whil when I rounded Quail hill. I wasn't sure if he'd gone straight or what, but I figured he was gone. I got caught at the light at the bottom but once the light turned green, lo and behold Mr. Moto Tab was in between the cars rather than to the right like me, and he takes off again. He gapped me around the loop as I was trying not to have this black SUV take me out, but I started to close on him right before the last entrance up the bike trail. Once we started going, I stood and again broke away from him going up Shady. It was funny as 2 ladies were watching from the top on their bikes, and when I passed them, they told me what I great job I did. Cool.

Overall, it was a good training session, but tomorrow should be more intense with the Type-A's.

No comments:

Post a Comment